U N I V E R S I T Y O F C A L I F O R N I A
BERKELEY • DAVIS • IRVINE • LOS ANGELES • MERCED • RIVERSIDE • SAN DIEGO • SAN FRANCISCO
SANTA BARBARA • SANTA CRUZ
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
1111 Franklin Street
Oakland, California 94607-5200
Phone: (510) 987-9074
Fax: (510) 987-9086
May 13, 2002
MICHAEL V. DRAKE
VICE PRESIDENT--HEALTH AFFAIRS
Delegation of Authority--To Solicit and Accept Gifts
The authority granted to the President to solicit and accept gifts, under Section 100.4(dd) of the Standing Orders of The Regents, is delegated to you for breast cancer research programs, up to and including a value of $5 million, effective immediately, with the exceptions noted below.
Regental authorization is required for solicitation or acceptance of any gift that involves:
- exceptions to approved University programs or policies [Standing Order 100.4(dd)(1)];
- obligations on the part of the University to expenditures or costs for which there is no established fund source [Standing Order 100.4(dd)(1)];
- construction of facilities not previously approved [Standing Order 100.4(dd)(1)];
Regental or Presidential authorization, as appropriate, is required for solicitation or acceptance of any gift that involves an interest in real property [Bylaw 21.3(f)(2)(aa)].
Your authority to act is subject to the following conditions:
- Whenever there is any ambiguity in the terms of a gift proposal or other question as to its legal effect, the matter shall be referred to the General Counsel and Vice President for Legal Affairs for interpretation and advice. A copy of the proposal and the General Counsel's opinion shall be provided to the Senior Vice President--University and External Relations. If there is any doubt whether gift terms comply with the policies of the University, including those set forth in the Development Policy and Administration Manual, the questions shall be referred to the Senior Vice President--University and External Relations for interpretation and advice prior to acceptance.
- Gifts to The Regents shall be accepted, administered, documented, and reported in accordance with established University policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Gifts to campus foundations shall be accepted, administered, documented, and reported in accordance with the September 15, 1995 Policy on Campus Foundations and the April 2002 Administrative Guidelines for Campus Foundations.
- Gifts to University support groups shall be accepted, administered, documented, and reported in accordance with the September 15, 1995 Policy on University Support Groups and the April 1996 Administrative Guidelines for University Support Groups.
- Gifts to The Regents shall be accepted in the name and become the property of The Regents of the University of California.
- Gifts of $1 million and more to The Regents, the campus foundations, and the University support groups shall be reported quarterly to the President. This responsibility shall not be redelegated.
For purposes of this delegation the dollar amount of a gift shall be the amount of cash actually received; or, if in the form of a pledge, the full amount pledged; or shall be equivalent to the fair market value of securities or personal property.
Any redelegation of this authority shall be limited to the solicitation or acceptance of gifts which do not exceed $1 million. Redelegation by the Vice President--Health Affairs shall be in writing with copies to the Senior Vice President--University and External Relations, the Special Assistant--Coordination & Review, and the General Counsel and Vice President for Legal Affairs.
Richard C. Atkinson
- Members, President's Cabinet
Special Assistant--Coordination & Review
Principal Officers of The Regents