Office of the President
December 14, 1967
Allocation of Professorial FTE to the IGPP
This responds to your memo of December 8 on the above subject.
As an exception to paragraph 11* of the University Policy on Organized Research Units, issued by the President on October 22, 1963, I authorize you to allocate professorial FTE positions to the Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics on the Los Angeles campus, with the following limitations:
- Not more than four such FTE shall be allocated during the period from now to June 30, 1977. This refers to additions to the present 6.22 FTE total of professorial FTE in the IGPP at UCLA.)
- All faculty FTE appointments shall be counted in reckoning the student-faculty ratio for the Campus.
- To the greatest extent possible the FTE positions in question shall be used to support joint appointments with relevant departments of instruction and research.
H. R. Wellman
- * This paragraph reads as follows:
- "Faculty titles shall not be conferred by organized research units nor shall academic tenure be acquired solely through service in such a unit."
cc: Universitywide Administrative Officers