Personnel Policies for Staff Members
This manual contains the universitywide personnel policies that apply to staff members at the University of California.
University staff members make valuable contributions in supporting the university's overall mission of education, research, public service and patient care. Managers and senior professionals provide leadership and professional expertise at the highest levels to major university units, programs or fields of work, and are accountable for their areas of responsibility. Positions at this level are responsible for identifying objectives, formulating strategy, directing programs, managing resources and functioning effectively with a high degree of autonomy. Professional and support staff provide administrative, professional, technical and operational support through independent judgment, analytical skill and professional or technical expertise, or are responsible for providing clerical, administrative, technical, service and maintenance support for university departments, programs and fields of study.
As public sector employees, University of California staff are considered to be employed by statute. The provisions contained here and in implementing policies and procedures at university locations are designed to inform employees about the expectations and entitlements of the university with regard to their employment. The university reserves the right to amend, modify or delete these policies at any time and they supersede all previously issued university staff personnel policies.
Any variance from the policies contained in this manual must be approved by the President or, where indicated within or by delegation, the Chancellor, Laboratory Director or Senior Vice President — Business and Finance.
- 20 Recruitment and Promotion PDF
- 21 Selection and Appointment PDF
- 22 Probationary Period PDF
- 23 Performance Management PDF
- Regents' Policy 7706: Reemployment of UC Retired Employees PDF
- 30 Compensation PDF
- 34 Incentive and Recognition Award Plans PDF
Plans governed by PPSM-34:
- 35 Uniforms and Safety Apparel PDF
- 36 Classification of Positions PDF
Absence from Work
- Absence from Work PDF
Disciplinary and Separation Actions
- 60 Layoff and Reduction in Time from Professional and Support Staff Career Positions PDF
- 62 Corrective Action — Professional and Support Staff PDF
- 64 Termination and Job Abandonment PDF
- 66 Medical Separation PDF
- 80 Staff Personnel Records PDF
- 81 Reasonable Accommodation PDF
- 82 Conflict of Interest PDF
- 83 Death Payments PDF
- 84 Accommodations for Nursing Mothers PDF
Selected Presidential Policies
- Protection of Whistleblowers from Retaliation (Whistleblower Protection) PDF
- Substance Abuse PDF
- Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Policy PDF
- Discrimination, Harassment and Affirmative Action in the Workplace PDF